Galilee Flyer has four different flying games, each teaching an important “Jesus teaching”:
The Beatitudes ~ Lord’s Prayer ~ Sermon on the Mount ~ Kingdom Parables
In each game students fly around the Sea and Hills of Galilee looking for Bible verses to match up from their selected lesson and answer questions about them. The Verses and Questions are floating in the air, and open when you fly into them. Match them all and land to get your Pilot Ranking! Lots of flying fun and added content.
Here’s how you play Galilee Flyer:
- Pick from one of four subjects: Beatitudes, Kingdom Parables, Lord’s Prayer, Sermon on Mount.
- Select “easy” or “hard” flying controls.
- Take off and go study the verses on Mount Hippus. (Their text pops open when you fly by the summit).
- Then fly Galilee finding the verses. They pop open but only show you half the verse. You must choose the correct second half of the verse (or fill-in-the-blank answer) in order to win the verse.
- As you fly….you can also answer questions about the verses to win bonus points. “Correct” Answer pop-ups also contain additional interesting information about the topic.
- When you’ve matched all your verses, go land on the airfield to get your pilot rank.
- Your “pilot ranking” is based on how many tries it took you to match the verses, and enter your name on the scoreboard.
- Then go fly to the Discussion Area, land and discuss the pop-ups, -or play again to try for a higher score.
- There’s no penalty for getting a verse match or question wrong, but you do have to correctly match all the verses to complete the game. You can crash the Triplane and it is game-over after 3 crashes.
- Great as a Sunday School lesson CD, or for “after class” and home use.
- Each game takes about 25 minutes and they’ll want to play them often.
- Wide age-range. Even young children can fly and learn with help.
- Verse pop-ups and Questions are written to teach concepts and vocabulary found in the verses.
- Verse and Questions appear in the Galilee skies in two locations and open AGAIN each time they are flown by, -even after you’ve matched or correctly answered them to reinforce student memory.
- Students can fly over to optional Reflection-Discussion content after each game.
- Land near Jesus in the landscape to him preach a very kid-friendly version of the scripture.
- Look for the two floating Video Clips which show what the Mount of Beatitudes looks like today.
- Scoring and game design encourages kids not to guess. Content is repeated to improve their recall.
- Fun game design means they’ll keep on using it for a long time to come.
For complete details on game play and content, view the Galilee Flyer Teacher’s Guide.
See a list of all the verses found in Galilee Flyer’s four games.
Game Play and Content Notes for Teachers
See the “Doc Box” below on this page for links to the teacher’s guide and printable poster.
The Lord’s Prayer
We’ve included all three versions: debts/sins/trespasses. Pop-up windows provide meaning to the vocabulary of the prayer. Discussion area asks questions and suggests activities about HOW to pray more often.
Pop-up windows with each verse help explain vocabulary and conceptual meaning of these strange but wonderful verses. Discussion area asks questions about the idea of being blessed. NRSV version.
Mustard Seed, Pearl of Great Price and Leaven in the Loaf…with an emphasis on teaching “The Kingdom of God.” Pop-up windows describe the nature of seed/leaven. Discussion area questions and activities zero-in on being a part of God’s Kingdom everyday.
Sayings from the Sermon on the Mount
All the famous sayings, including: “you are the salt of the earth,” “you are the light of the world,” “love your enemies,” “turn the other cheek,” and “seek first the Kingdom of God.” Pop-up windows describe things such as “why Jesus chose the image of salt.” Discussion area questions and activities suggest Jesus’ rules for how to be toward others.
Need to teach about the Kingdom of God?
Galilee Flyer is the program to do it with. The Beatitudes tell us what the Kingdom of God will be like, what God values in his Kingdom. The Kingdom Parables tell us how we can find it, and how we should look for it. Even the Sayings from the Sermon on the Mount tells us how members of the Kingdom are supposed to act. And of course, the Lord’s Prayer teaches us to pray for the coming of the Kingdom of God. See my 7 Lessons About the Kingdom
More Content Details:
- There are approximately NINE VERSES per game which must be correctly matched.
- There are approximately NINE QUESTIONS per subject which you can answer to win time bonuses.
- There are 3 or 4 questions with life-applying comments in each subject’s “after the game” discussion area.
- Kids can also fly-in and land close to Jesus to hear him preaching on one of four the subjects selected for the game. Our Jesus voice and re-phrasing of scripture is warm and friendly. Jesus speaks in a modern informal style, not preachy.
- It takes about 25 minutes per game, depending on the age of your students, game skills and knowledge. Over time, they’ll get better.
- Each game gives you 3 “lives.” You can “crumple” the plane into mountains and objects, but there’s no fire and explosion, …just the sad sight of a bent plane, a funny sound and the word “ouch.” I’m also happy to report that you cannot crash into Jesus!
- The Location of verses and questions change each time you play the game.
- The theological tone is “kid-friendly and moderate with an emphasis on the importance of “BEING like Jesus asks us to be.”
Site License Available for 5+ copies! See our online order form for site and quantity pricing details.
Age Range: 7* through adult*.
*Younger kids love Galilee Flyer just as much as older kids, they just need help navigating, reading, and answering a few questions. Minimum age 9 by themselves. Ages 7 and 8 with help.
*Adults who are “game-challenged” need a 5th grader to help them, or to playe in secret for at least an hour with our printed guide and flying secrets in hand so the kids don’t make (too much) fun of them, after which they’ll think you’re a gamer-genius.
System Requirements: Windows XP/Vista/7/8. Minimum: 800 mhz, 512mb ram minimum, 16mb videoram minimum.
“Rip McErkel’s Extra-Enhanced Flying Secrets for the Game-Challenged”
Student Worksheet for Beatitudes
This worksheet has space for students to write-in the answers to the verses they are matching in the game. It also contains the text of the pop-up comments and the bonus questions.
Student Worksheet for Kingdom Parables
This worksheet has a list of all the fill-in-the-blank verses and a place for them to record their answers. It also has a list of the pop-up comments and the questions.
Free “Kingdom of God” Lesson Sets (which include software lessons that use Galilee Flyer and other software)
View/Print a ‘Pilot Poster‘ to give to your students. It has helpful info about the game.
See our Galilee Mountains room design notes on our Summer Ideas page for a great way to theme your classroom and use Galilee Flyer as a summer Sunday School program.
Game Secret: Fly under any archway or bridge for a Turbo Boost. Just fasten your seatbelts!
After you have received your pilot ranking, you can fly to the “Discussion Ruins” in the NE ridgetop. Fly through the blue “D” and it will open a panel of questions.