Did you miss our Big Advent Sale?
Subscribe to our email newsletter so you don’t miss our next big sale!
Free Right Now!
Download a Free Copy of the book, “Teaching with Computers in CE” -the 2016 edition
Just posted: “Blast from the Past” …a list of all the software we have carried over the past 20 years.
Sunday Software’s founding story…
In 1990, I started experimenting teaching with computers at the church where I served as Associate Pastor. Within a few years, I was leading seminars and handing out copies of my “how-to-teach-with-software” manual.
With the help of several parishioners, in early 1996, I set up a small business to share our knowledge and resources. It was like throwing gas on a fire. The response was so overwhelming that later that year I decided this was my “here I am, send me!” moment. I left full-time parish work, moved the family back to Ohio, started Sunday Software full-time, and hit the conference circuit.
In 2001, we started making plans to develop our own software, rather then waiting for others to do it.
Reflecting on “Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride”
In some ways, things have turned out quite different than I thought they would. I’ve watched almost every Christian software developer come and go, and their programs with them: Captain Bible, Pathways through Jerusalem, Onesimus, to name a few. We went from being the smallest Christian software company selling other people’s software to the most prolific –developing 18 of our own CDs to now being the only company devoted to Christian software as a teaching medium.
I never imagined we’d end up leading the way in Christian software design and experimenting with new tech, but we did…
- Good Sam CD = 1st ever use of animation in interactive Bible software
- Ten Commandments CD = 1st ever panoramic photos of Mt Sinai, and embedding of activities in “photobubble” tech
- Cal & Marty CD = 1st ever commercial use of “biovirtual” talking head tech in software
- Galilee Flyer and Bongo CDs = 1st ever “first person, 3d style” Christian game built from scratch
- Elijah & Jonah CD = 1st ever interactive comic book-style software
- Awesome Bible Stories CD = 1st ever use of “text to speech” tech in Christian software (the “Fluffimations”)
- Jesus in Space CD = 1st ever Christian software to depict Jesus as an alien 🙂
- Faith through the Roof CD = 1st ever 3d modeling & animating of Jesus in Christian software
- Name Badger CD = 1st ever nametag printing software designed for use by kids
In 20+ years I’ve set up 5 labs in 5 of my own churches. I’ve watched the equipment evolve from DOS to Windows 10. But the one thing that hasn’t changed in 20 years is this: the kids still get excited learning with software, and I still love teaching as their “guide by the side.”
There are many people to thank…
Let me start with our customers both old and new. Your purchases keep us going.
To Dave, Chuck and Greg who helped me create the company. To Jim and Char, who helped me run the business for many years. To Michelle who kept the books and still ships for us. To our talented developers, Colin, Tregg, Denizhan, Ben and Mike, and everyone who has worked on our 18 titles. To my wife Malinda, who supported me in the lean years, and never fails to encourage. And to God, who’s Spirit empowers with creativity and “foolish” convictions in the face of the naysayers and the challenges of Christian resourcing.