An updated version of the Faith Through the Roof Teaching & Game Guide can be printed from https://www.rotation.org/topic/downloads-exodus-adventures-joseph-s-story-galilee-flyer-five-loaves-2-fishes-faith-through-the-roof
This first graphic below is a game guide you can give to students. Click it to open it and print/save.
Capernaum is a gamey-labyrinth of streets.
Remember that the red pointer will give a general direction you should be traveling next, but you cannot walk through walls.
GAME MAP and PLAY NOTES:
- You MUST do things IN ORDER. For example, you must find the stretcher (on the dock) before you can go pick up the man and carry him to see Jesus. But the stretcher will not appear on the dock until you have met Stephen and he has asked you to “go find a stretcher”! And you can’t visit Jesus until you show up with the man on the stretcher. This is what we mean by “playing through the story.”
- Notice that Peter’s house has BROWN WALLS. But after getting the stretcher with Stephen, you have to go outside the village and around back to access Peter’s house.
- The only way to get to the gate into Peter’s house/compound is to approach from the back of the village (see green line above). The door to Peter’s compound will not open if you don’t have the paralyzed man with you.
- Once inside, you carry the man up the stairs and onto the roof.
- The final sequence: After finding the hole in the roof, you need to move into it to see Jesus. After speaking to Jesus, you will exit and run into Peter. He will invite you to go fishing, at which point, you best go to the shore! You will see Stephen there one last time and MUST talk to him before you can climb into the boat and make it move. Out on the water, you’ll see a “beacon buoy” which is obviously calling you towards it.
ABOUT THE RED ARROW:
- The red arrow points in “the general direction of the thing you need to do next.”
- When you’re on the boat, it points in the general direction of Capernaum.
- When you land, it points to Peter and then to Stephen.
- When Stephen tells you to “go find a stretcher,” the arrow points to the stretcher (on the dock). Etc and so on.
- The red arrow will point through walls to tell you the general direction you need to be headed, but of course, you have to navigate around the walls.
BIG JUMPING TIP:
- To jump from the first roof to the second you need to get a running start. Press your Forward Arrow Key TOGETHER with the SHIFT key to get up speed. Then press your HOME key to jump the gap between roofs.
TIP: There are two holes and many roofs!
You have to get to the building where Jesus is talking. Don’t stop at the first hole!
TIP: Use your mouse to look at your feet as you cross the ladder. This will help you stay on the ladder.
TIP: Remember to jump + forward at appropriate places to get up or across a gap.
ABOUT THE SECRET SHORTCUT TO THE ROOF:
The secret shortcut is not easy to master. After lifting up the stretcher, you need to approach the gate door square on, then press Home key/Forward arrow at the same time to scale it. Let go of the keys at the top over you’ll overshoot the gate and end up outside. If you accidentally fall in behind the door, scale the door the same way (it might take you some time and turning to figure out).
BONUS DISCUSSION GRAPHIC:
Print the updated version of the Faith Through the Roof Teaching Guide