Welcome to our FREE VBS/Summer Sunday School lesson set from Neil MacQueen that answers some very important questions and complaints kids have….
Why do I have go to church? Church is boring!
Why do I have to go to worship? I don’t need church to be a Christian!
The people are hypocrites!
How do I help or hinder others from enjoying church?
- a Software-based lesson
- a Game and Demonstration lesson
- a Video lesson
- a Science experiment illustration lesson
- and worship and song resources!
“Zombies” are kids with the wrong attitude. They are featured big in our CD: Attack of the Sunday School Zombies CD. You don’t have to use that software to use some of these lessons, but your kids would love you to!
Lesson links below!
These lessons can be used anytime, but I wrote them thinking of summer and/or VBS. They are also written in the Rotation Model style. By that I mean, they were meant to be taught one after the other over a 4 week (or day) period. In Rotation we spend more than one lesson on this subject (that’s why there are four lessons), and this subject certainly warrants it. Each lesson takes a similar aim at the subject, but with different techniques.
This set is for 2st through 6th grade, but is especially aimed at our older children to whom these questions, and our answers, are extremely important. You can easily adapt some of the lessons ‘down’ to K-1.
Written by Neil MacQueen, a Presbyterian minister with 3 decades of children and youth ministry experience. Neil is also the author of the CD which can be used in this set, and curriculum author.
LESSON SET MENU:
(2) Game & Demonstration Lesson– Students will play a Bible verse matching game using the key verse Hebrews 10:24-25. Then they will learn and practice several techniques for going about worship differently.
(3) Zombie Video Lesson– Students will watch a video about “why go to church” and then make their own version of it for use in your church (which may include “zombies”). The video is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUJpJyth3J4 You can watch it online or download it.
(4) Science demonstrations– Students will do several science experiments that illustrate the concepts of “help” (catalyst) and “hinder” (inhibit), and look at ways their behavior helps or hinders their participation at church and that of others.
(5) Worship/Songs– Two song suggestions, a “Bean” video link about worship, and a skit suggestion.
- Hear and address children’s concern and complaints about “going to church.”
- Explore Bible verses that explain ‘why’ it’s important.
- Reinforce a positive attitude and emphasize the good outcomes of going to church!
- Teach some techniques to improve paying attention in church, and helping others do the same.
Consult each lesson plan to see which Bible verses it uses. The software CD has a bunch of verses. There simply are no “one or two verses” that sum it all up.
What is with the “Zombies” ??!!
The “zombies” in the title comes from our software game. “Zombies” are a fun way to describe people who have that sort of “glazed over, dead-eyed” look about them at church. You know the look! Zombies have attitude. Sometimes “zombies” are the way we act towards others in church. Sometimes its the way they act towards us.
Zombies are a popular idea in movies and tv shows. They are also a good metaphor for the attitudes and facial expressions some people bring to church.
Below are several ‘logos’ you can use depending on the venue for your lessons. VBS, Summer Sunday School, or Sunday School.
Deal: If you own or buy our Attack of the Sunday School Zombies CD, I’ll even offer to CUSTOMIZE the Zombies logo for you. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Hope you enjoy my lessons and the “Attack of the Sunday School Zombies” CD. ~ Neil