A history of all the various software we have offered over the past 20 years.
20 years in the software business has to be something of a record. We’ve certainly seen them come and go from 1996 to 2016. Below is a list of all the software we have ever carried. In their day, they were all interesting and useful, and some just plain Bible fun.
Software in our first catalog, March 1996!
- Pathways through Jerusalem -the best religious software I ever saw. Now out of print.
- Captain Bible -a fun game featuring a futuristic “Captain” using Bible verses to rescue people.
- Bible Builders -Bible trivia. Fun graphics, but oddly, no sound.
- Exodus for PC -a Nintendo video game modified to play on PCs.
- Joshua and the Battle of Jericho for PC
- Journey to the Promised Land -the ancestor of our Fall of Jericho program.
- Super 3D Noah’s Ark -one of the first-ever 3d style “first person” games, built using the famous Wolfenstein 3d game code.
- Onesimus -a really fun 30 level Bible arcade game with little content.
- Tutorial Writer Pro -I used it many times to write my own onscreen tutorials and quizzes.
- Vine shareware (hangman)
- Kidworks 2 -the excellent precursor to the style of software that Kid Pix eventually dominated.
- Wordy Scripture Memory Game -the first scripture memory software with an editor. Made by a Sunday School teacher.
- Parson’s PC Bible Atlas (v1)
- Jerusalem, an interactive Pilgrimage
- Read with Me Bible
- Bookie Book Worm’s David and Goliath
- Bible Paint II
- Where’s Noah -a dumb but fun game
- Bible Wonders (trivia)
- Quest of the Scroll Scholar
-an arcade style Bible quiz game featuring “fire-y darts.”
Most of these titles were sold at between $30 and $40 each and originally came on 3.5″ diskette.
Christian Software really started to take off in 1997 and 1998, and we carried the best of it. Below are the new titles we added to the above list over the next few years. Some of the above titles were retired during this time, as well.
- Actual Reality –Christian rockers share their faith in a cool interface.
- Life of Christ (then v1, now in v4) –one of the best programs ever made.
- Star Chasers -a beautiful program about Advent.
- Kids Interactive Bible Series (Noah, Moses, Ruth, David, Daniel, etc.)
- Bibleland.com -a “wiki” of character. Would that this had been updated.
- Amazing Bible Expedition
- Bible Puzzle Pro
- Grand Slam Bible Baseball -the early version built by “a guy.”
- Fall of Jericho -the early version of the Jericho title we have today
- Play and Learn Children’s Bible -I liked it so much, I purchased the title from the developer.
- A Walk in the Footsteps of Jesus -a great collecton of photobubbles – places where Jesus walked
- A Disciple’s Diary -made by an Israeli dev team, a quest through Jesus content.
- Giants of the Faith -church history! This should have been updated.
- Life Application Bible CD -one of the best and easiest to use Bibles on CD ever made.
Most of the above programs were developed for early versions of Windows. They eventually stopped working, or were retired. Some of them were very special titles and I wish their publishers had tried to update or expand on them.
Titles Added in 2000-2005
The flurry of new titles in the late 90’s helped widen the user base. AND it also taught us a lot about the software we WISH somebody would release. Many of the above early titles were good in their day, but we wanted software with greater storytelling, and depth, and interactivity… so in a major leap of faith and commitment of cash, we started making them ourselves! Below are titles we added to our catalog over the next couple of years. The ones WE made are bolded.
- Good Sam the Samaritan CD (v1)
- The Ten Commandments CD (v1)
- The Prodigal Son (v1)
- Crosswords and Word Games maker
- Big Genius Bible Trivia
- Say Your Prayers (v1)
- Walking in Their Sandals Bible Atlas (v1 and 2) -made by a media team at a seminary.
- Adventures in Odyssey 3d
- Saints of Virtue -a game based on Pilgrim’s Progress.
- Spiritual Expressions
2002 to date
Our new “Sunday School designed” titles were well received, so we made another major investment to create more software specifically for Sunday School use. They are listed below in order of release. During this same time, we also issued updates to our original titles seen above. My simple design principle: “What would I teach with?”
Here they are in order of their original version 1 release:
- Abraham & Sarah CD
- Galilee Flyer CD
- Bongo Loves the Bible CD
- Cal & Marty’s Scripture Memory Game CD
- Joseph’s Story CD
- Attack of the Sunday School Zombies CD
- Awesome Bible Stories CD
- Fluffy & God’s Amazing Christmas CD
- Elijah & Jonah CD
- Let’s Talk CD
- Jesus in Space
- Faith Through the Roof CD
- Five Loaves ~ Two Fishes CD
All of the titles listed above have received multiple updates. Super proud that all of our Sunday Software owned and designed programs work on Windows 8 and 10!
During that time, we also added these good new titles to our listing:
- Interactive Parables -from Tim at Graceworks, one of the only other remaining Christian software developers like us.
- Charlie Church Mouse -3 different CDs.
- Ilumina Bible -created by the guy who now makes the online Glo Bible. We carried 3 different versions, but stopped when it no longer ran on newer Windows)
Over the years, we also chose NOT TO CARRY a number of titles. We called it, “The No Shelf.” After a few years, I stopped updating it because our reviews made some nice developers unhappy. Most of them are long gone, and the list hasn’t been updated for years, …but it is archived here and also gives you an idea of what Christian software titles used to be out there.
Hope you’ve enjoyed this “blast from the past.”