This Video workshop lesson plan is part of my four lesson set, “Wanderin toward the Promised Land” introducing kids to the books of Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy.
Video Workshop Lesson Plan
by Neil MacQueen, www.sundaysoftware.com
DVD #3 from the What’s in the Bible? series
“Wandering in the Desert” ~Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy.
This is an awesome video that not only teaches the place and content of these three often overlooked books, but focuses on some of the important themes and stories. The DVD series is optimally ages 7-14, but with selective use can easily be used with 1st and 2nd graders. I have written a detailed outline of the DVD’s 58 minutes of content, which I distribute to those who purchase the DVD from Sunday Software. The following lesson plan contains HELPFUL EXCERPTS from that outline. Learn more about the What’s in the Bible? DVD Series from the creator of Veggie Tales. It’s awesome and I know of no other kid-friendly video that covers this much this well, of these three books.
In this lesson plan, you will be using SELECTIONS from DVD #3. Below I’ve marked which chapters to SKIP. They are good, but there’s too much content for one class, and the chapters you’ll skip are not on-topic for this lesson.
There are two “episodes” or “parts” on the DVD. Each Episode has 5 chapters. Each chapter is about 5 minute long. You will be skipping some chapters.
1. Poll the Class. How much do they know about Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy?
Write the names of the books on the board and pronounce them.
Write these two questions: (1) Why do we need rules? and (2) What’s the most important rule?
Tell the kids you’ll ask them for their answers after the video. Also tell them that you’ll be skipping certain sections and pausing to ask questions (so pay attention!).
2. Show the Video! DVD #3 from the What’s in the Bible Series.
Episode 1, Chapter 1 SKIP THIS CHAPTER. It’s off-topic and we need to get moving!
Chapter 2: Holy and Set Apart (about 6 minutes into the video)
- Sunday School lady describes Leviticus, instructions on “how to be Holy.”
- Pastor Paul: “Dedicated to or set apart for God”
- God set apart one day to be holy, the Sabbath. God wanted a whole people set apart.
- Leviticus is an instruction book about how to be set apart.
Chapter 3: The Bible Rules
- Videos of kids trying to remember God’s rules
- The most important rule
- Why they call it “Leviticus”. What’s a Levite. Taking care of the Tabernacle.
- Bentley Brothers: “Rules Song” about Leviticus
Chapter 4: Two Kinds of Rules
- Ian and Clive discuss rules in Leviticus. No bacon? Some peculiar rules!
- 16:00 Big Questions with Buck Denver: What’s with all the wacky rules and why don’t we follow them today?
- Sunday School lady explains… Ethical vs Ritual Rules. Ritual rules reminds them of something important. Ethical means how we treat each other. The Ritual rules for just for old Kingdom of Israel.
- Today we live under new Kingdom.
- Chuck Wagon’s song about Rules
- Phil explains the two kinds of laws/rules.
Chapter 5: Miracles and History SKIP THIS CHAPTER. It’s off-topic.
Pause for some summary:
Why do they call it Leviticus? What’s a Levite?
What are the two kinds of rules?
What is the New Kingdom we live under?
Part 2 Chapter 1 (aka “Episode 2”)
- Sunday School lady describes Numbers, wandering around in the desert.
- Why stuck in desert? Pastor Paul and Brother Louie explain.
Part 2, Chapter 2: Moses Big Speech (The Book of Deuteronomy)
- Phil summarizes the book of Numbers. Ian and Clive discuss archaeology of the Bible story.
- Bentley Brothers Song about Deuteronomy “Give God your best and you will be blessed.”
- Sunday School lady explains what’s in Deuteronomy.
- Animation of Moses giving speech. Joshua is picked as new leader.
Part 2, Chapter 3: Keeping the Covenant, SKIP THIS CHAPTER. It’s off-topic for this lesson.
Part 2, Chapter 4: Respect for God, SKIP THIS CHAPTER. It’s off-topic for this lesson.
Part 2, Chapter 5: The Pentateuch.
- Marcy introduces: “Pentateuch the Musical” (a musical review of first five books of the Bible)
- Phil summarizes the DVD. “We learned how God used one family to launch a rescue plan.”
Ask: What is God’s rescue plan?
What happens when we all have different rules? Are we better or worse off?
If you had to ELECT SOMEONE to make the best
rules, who would you vote as the Rule Giver? (God!)
What do you think God’s BIGGEST rule is? Hint: we read it from Deuteronomy 6:5.
Place a Bible in the middle of your circle opened to Deuteronomy 6:5. Have students say a word in the verse — one word at a time, going around your circle. Do it faster and faster and faster. Then pray thanking God for his guidance, and for the strength to follow God’s most important rule.